Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Movies I love and Why

Memoirs of a Geisha - It was the first time I watched a movie with a guy (who was bored out of his wits.) I loved the movie because I watched it right after I read the book. True story - I met the guy on a train while I was reading the book and then on our second date we went and watched this movie.

Hum- It was the first movie I watched on big screen. I cried, wailed but nothing would get me out of the big, black hole with huge bollywood stars dancing every few minutes. Very painful and memorable.

Mr and Mrs Iyer - The movie that drove home to me the abomination violence really is. Very well made. The locales were very familiar to me. Quintessentially a cross-over movie with great understated characters. I love Rahul Bose and the fact that in the movie he was a photographer won it a great many brownie points.

Love Actually - Amazing! Enough said.

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai - The Indian saga that at some point or the other had every one of the 1.17 billion crazy about at least one character in the film. Dont deny it! The songs, Rani's lil skirts, SRK in the rain (mmm delish) and Kajol in her sarees. So so unforgettable.

Silence of the Lambs - First watched it when I was 5 and found it disturbing. Of course since I was in India it was heavily edited so I missed most of the real parts. Watched it again last year and could not sleep for a couple of nights only.

This next one is random:

Mummy (pt 3): loved this movie for reasons the director would never be able to guess. Went to watch it at 9 in the morning on a Sunday with a bunch of friends and one special friend. Movie was so bad but I will never forget laughing so hard that it made it worth the 2hrs and $4 that we spend on it :)

Kung Fu Panda - There is no price for awesomeness!

All Quentin Tarantino movies for obvious reasons

Vicky Christina Barcelona - Such a good sketch of life as we know it.

Amores Perros - Will never get this movie out of my head. Had to go for a stroll and drinks after this movie.

Wall-E - Awwww... (its the only time in my blog I am allowed to say this.)

Shrek - Awww... (ok so this is the last time.)

Namesake - Watched this movie with my mom and it changed my perception of so many things that we take for granted in life. Probably the only movie that is better than the book. Such natural actors and so well picked. Once again the characters were very close to home and that made it special. For anyone looking for an intelligent film that does not leave you exhausted and drained - don't think twice.