Thursday, January 27, 2011

What brings on the blues?

Lately, in spite of not being under optimum conditions I have been very optimistic. Its strange but I think its human nature. Its like a survival mechanism - similar to you forgetting some of the sad incidents in your life and selectively remembering the happier ones better. But, I was not always like this. So what were/are the things that make me sad?

Right on the top of my list is a love story with a lot of potential that does not go anywhere. Nothing pains my heart to see all that time, energy and happiness end. This could be for me personally or my friends. I like to believe that I can understand almost any kind of heartbreak and can definitely give you very good bad advice if you come to me. I can make the best drinking companion or just someone who will keep you busy and your mind occupied.

Another thing that really makes me sad is having expectations dashed. This is one thing I just don't know how to deal with. I remember as a child I was really looking forward to playing tennis one Saturday because the guy I had a crush on would see how much better my serve was. He would of course then proceed to mock me which I would secretly enjoy. However, my dad came home and declared that he didn't feel up to it. I was never very good at pushing my agenda so I let it be. But a part of me really dies everytime I build up scenarios in my head and they are crushed before their fruition. Another incident that comes to mind was fairly recent. It was going to be one of those last dinners in a romantic restaurant before we saw each other again. I wanted to wear a very pretty yellow dress because he loves the colour yellow. I had it all planned. However, last minute he wanted to go shopping for gifts. By the time we came back it was too late to change and we just got in the cab and left. It was such a small thing but just the fact that I ended up going to dinner in worn out jeans and a shabby sweatshirt made me so mad I had two drinks to calm me down.

Nothing makes me more mad than someone asking me to do something. This could be as trivial as making me drink water, or making me wear something I don't want to wear. Ask my mother what a tantrum I used to throw as a kid when asked to do something. I think being a contrarian has a huge role to play in this. The minute someone tells me to do something - I either stop (if I was midway,) or I completely ignore what is being said. There is one exception - my job. I will listen to every detailed instruction when I am at work.

People who ask me to come back to reality - Here is what I have to say to you: I see how miserable most of you are. Can you please just let me be?

Music snobs, intellectual snobs, fashion snobs, political snobs - Gave me goosebumps just typing this!

People who asked me whether I was older than J - Umm first - get glasses. Secondly, none of your damn business. Thirdly - I get that I may look older than someone who is 26 but what I don't get is how you can think or say things that make you seem younger than 6!

Not exercising - Haven't we all been there?  K= 1/2mv or e=mc2. For me its all the way downhill when I have too much energy and too little to do.

PMS - No explanation required.

P.S. I feel particularly light after writing this post. Maybe someday there will be a sequel because this list is not exhaustive!