Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hardcore

Is what I used to be. This is my blog and I am allowed to brag. However, there is a point to all the bragging.

When I was in 10th grade I was awarded the All Round Best Student of my graduating class. I won 15 certificates of merit from Economics to English. From Best Speaker in a Debate to Best Elocutionist. From Basketball to Table Tennis. I got the over all certificate for General Proficiency reserved for the valedictorian of the graduating class. I was sports vice-captain in 9th grade and captain in 10th grade. At an assembly I started the school anthem.

In 11th and 12th grade I studied - physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics (with English and Bengali.) I was also studying for my medical entrance exams which meant three more classes of higher level physics, chemistry and biology. I debated with college students and helped out at an old age home. I played tennis and basketball. I had a surgery, PTSD, followed by some more handicaps that I can't care to talk about here.

In college, I studied - Economics, Literature, French and Education. I graduated with Honours. Top 5% of my class. I played basketball for my college and a club. I won best speaker at one of the most prestigious debates in India. I was President of the Student Council. Nominated as President of the Debating Society and Games Society. Through my first year I was still preparing for pre-med so I had another year of physics, chemistry and bio with econ, english and education. I ran 3 miles a day and did yoga 4 times a week. I swam 3 times a week. I started dating someone 10 years older than me and managed to keep things steady. I also worked at an old age home and did some content writing. I went on to work for Google.

During my Master's degree I studied 22 units per semester. I had a 20hr/week job. I was constantly applying for internships and jobs. I was in a long distance relationship. My first semester I walked 5 miles back and forth from school after I had run 5 miles in the morning. I interned at the Centre for Public Policy in India.

Now - I am burnt out. I am just exhausted mentally and physically.

However, today I met someone who inspired me. I was at a party with my friends from my grad school and this person blew my mind. Lets call the person "C." C was fit, funny and ferociously ambitious. Reminded me a lot of myself. C is easy to talk to and so so good with giving advice and tips that are career related. If I had to put my finger on it I would say that C has what it takes to rule a small country. C makes me want to rule a small country. I feel some of that old fire creeping back one flame at a time. I needed this unhealthy dose of go-getter juice. I think this is going to keep me on my toes for a while.

I have decided to be unabashedly, shamelessly ambitious. Today I made the decision that I AM going to be successful in every area of my life - career and personal. I will not choose and I will excel. Someone's got to be at the top - why not me?